Any good resource to learn simulation modelling?

Forums Academic discussion Simulation Any good resource to learn simulation modelling?

This topic contains 15 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  Claire Johnson 1 month, 2 weeks ago.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author

Karthi MB
    Participant

Can someone suggest few good books on”Simulation Modelling” that can aid self-phased learning?.(other than Averill M Law). Even online links of good online lectures are welcome. I am essentially looking for resources that might explain neatly the essential steps involved in building a models, such like aiding with quantitative examples. Thank you.

Feifan Wang
    Participant

If “simulation modeling” you mentioned here means discrete-event system simulation, you could consider to get your study in simulation started by reading the book Discrete-Event System Simulation, Authored by Jerry Banks, John S. Carson, Barry L. Nelson and David M. Nicol. It contains enough detail about each step of simulation study. A large number of case studies can also be found in this book.

If your interest is probability and statistics, you could consider the book simulation author by Sheldon M. Ross.

‘Simulation with Arena’ by David Kelton is a good book for learning about simulation and ARENA.

Katherine Faust
    Participant

I agree with Feifang. Discrete-Event System Simulation is a good book to learn simulation! Also I recommend using Arena to make simulations.

Aahnik Baruah
    Participant

Karthi, have you taken the class on simulation modeling by professor Leyuan Shi. Its offered in the spring semester. You might want to take a look. Her class presentations are really good.

I agree with Aahnik. You should definitely take ISyE 620 in the spring semester

Karthi MB
    Participant

Thanks Feifan for providing reference resources. AAhnik and Jagadish thanks you for your valuable information. But since I am graduating next semester, I’ve already decided on other courses to complete my requirement.But still, I can self-read from books suggested by Feifan.

Feifan Wang
    Participant

Reply to Karthi MB of #2457:

You are welcome. I am glad you decide to read the book. Feel free to let me know if you have any question to simulation or to this book.

QiWen Shu
    Participant

Is Arena the major software model that was used in industrial for simulation modelling as well?

Nicole Boehne
    Participant

QiWen, yes, Arena is one of the major software modeling systems that is commonly used.

MPX is also a simulation software used in addition to ARENA.

From what I had experienced, MPX is not a simulation software in classic sense. It is does not sample from a distribution and uses analytical queuing formula to calculate performance measures. I am not sure if they have made an upgrade.

Madhuvanthi
    Participant

I would definitely take a look at learning the software AMPL. There is a free book for it, and is a really good software for simulation modeling especially linear programs.

wenhao
    Participant

Hi Karthi,

If you are interested in using a simulation software other than ARENA then SIMIO is a good option. It is cheap and fast compared with ARENA.

https://www.simio.com/academics/

Hang Ma
    Participant

Karthi,

Simulation Modeling and Analysis written by Averill Law is quite a good reference book for you to learn simulation modeling. It contains basically all the fundamental steps to build a simulation model. In terms of software, Arena or Anylogic as reference.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
Iconic One Theme | Powered by Wordpress